Monday, July 10, 2006

Faithful God...

So what did I learn over the past week? I learned that when God promises to take care of us, He is not kidding. I learned that He is my rock and refuge when I am lonely and sad. I have always thought of God's promise in Malachi 3:10 as referring only to financial matters, but I'm beginning to see it in other terms, as well. Yes, yes, I know that it is technically a promise to Israel and not to me personally, but I believe it shows God's character and His care for all who trust in Him. I Peter 3:9, after telling us in verse 8 how to live Christ-like lives, tells us that "you were called for the very purpose that you might inherit a blessing."
What are these blessings and how I have seen them manifested in my life?
1. My salvation is a blessing, a gift from God.
2. The Holy Spirit in me--the comforter and counselor.
3. My wonderful, loving, kind, caring husband. What a blessing to be married to my very best friend, and still laugh together after so long.
4. My three children, who have handled this move very well so far.
5. My church family at Messiah, whom I miss dreadfully, and who still support and encourage us. Just knowing that I can pick up the phone and call them (like I did to Alan and Margaret last night) and cry on the phone, helps.
6. The wonderful people we have met at the churches we have visited here.
7. HERE'S A BIG ONE: A 9-year-old boy, whom we have known since he was born, Evan, gave us a beautiful "book" he made with pictures of himself and his sister in it, as well as some flower seeds. As I was looking at it and admiring his work, he said, "There's something under the seed packet." When I peeled back the tape, there was a $100 bill under there. I immediately assumed that his parents had given it to him to give us. BUT NO... It was his birthday money that he had just received the week before--he wanted to bless us with it. How amazing is that? How many kids his age do you know who would give away that kind of money? I pray that God will continue to bless him and his family as he grows in the Lord. (That money is already coming in handy, as we have no health insurance right now, and our daughter needed antibiotic yesterday.)

How amazing and wonderful is our heavenly Father. His blessings are too many to count. Praise His name.

2 comments:

Alan Knox said...

Alice,
We miss you and love you dearly! We thank God for his faithfulness to you and your family during this time. I've always wondered how people can stay connected/related over long distances. I don't wonder about that any longer. We know that we will stay close to you and your family whever you are and wherever we are. God has bound us together, and whatever God has joined together... I'll make sure that Jeremy sees your new blog!
Alan

Alan Knox said...

I just wanted you to know that God has blessed me with your friendship. I'm glad to know that you are just a phone call(or e-mail or blog) away. Call me anytime you need to cry or laugh!

Thanks for sharing Evan's story. What a wonderful young man to want to support your family in missions. I know God is using your family to influence his decision to be a missionary himself. How wonderful!

Ilove you!!!
Margaret