Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Gracia Burnham's Book

Since I never posted my final review:

I give this book 5 stars out of 5: *****

The story of the Burnham's kidnapping and captivity is, as I said before, encouraging and uplifting. It also challenges the reader and gives you the feeling that you are right there with them. As my husband and I were reading it we started to feel like it was dragging, with the same things happening over and boredom setting in. Then it occurred to us: that is exactly how the Burnhams felt for a lot of the time in captivity. Their lives became an endless routine of marching from one place to another, trying to find enough food to stay alive, and trying to keep strong for each other. Although they experienced 17 firefights during their captivity (and Martin was killed in the final one) most of the time was spent traveling from one place to another, living out in the jungle. Gracia is completely honest about their relationship, spiritual walk, and even doubts during their ordeal. I really appreciated her candor. I strongly encourage everyone to read her book.

No comments: