Monday, September 17, 2007

A Few Vignettes From Recent Days...

Ummm...we homeschool...
As I mentioned in my previous post, I met a lady last week while caring for my nephew at a local hospital's Meditation Garden. This other mom and I began talking, sharing about our kids and asking each other questions. At one point I turned to her and asked, "So where are your kids in school?" She got a wary look in her eyes, and answered "Well...umm...we home school..." Now I know what I look like when people ask me that question. I always feel like I need to prepare to be grilled with the inquiries that inevitably follow: What about socialization? How do you teach all your kids at once? Isn't it hard to make your kids obey and do their work? How do you know everything to teach them? Is it legal? And so on...So it was with great joy that I said to her, "Hey, I understand--we home school, too!" She breathed a sigh of relief and we began discussing the ins and outs of home schooling a high-schooler, what curriculum we use, and what a blessing it is to be able to spend so much time with our children. We had a nice time of encouraging one another.

Unity of heart...
Last night we had the privilege of going to Ephesus Baptist Church, where Eric preached the Word and we shared in a spaghetti dinner with the church members afterwards. What a nice time we had! I'm always thrilled at the bond that we have instantly with other believers. What was especially nice at Ephesus is that they have been praying for us for a year now, first while we were overseas and then since we have been back for Bobby's cancer treatment. Ephesus people came to visit us in the hospital, e-mailed us encouragement, and supported us financially with a love offering. Although we are just getting to know the people there, they know us very well already! And in a sense, we know them, too. Our hearts are united in love for the Lord and in seeking that He be glorified. It was wonderful to talk to many different people there and put faces to names from our e-mail list. I'm looking forward to going there again. Every time we have this sort of experience it makes me long even more for heaven, where we will be together with ALL believers, praising God and worshiping Him forever.

Unsure until November...
Today we took Bobby to the clinic, and the upshot of our visit is that we will not be sure whether or not he is relapsing until November, when they repeat the PET/CT scan. This is VERY hard for me. The waiting really gets to me, and even thought I'm trying to see things from an eternal perspective, and trying to trust the Lord, and trying to be patient, I am feeling weak in these areas right now. I know that God is teaching me patience and total reliance on Him. I'm just not thrilled with the lesson right now. Is that okay to say? Oh, yeah, the author of Hebrews talked about it, didn't he? Chapter 12:1-11 lays it out pretty clearly, especially verses 7-11. I am looking forward to the day when my life displays the "peaceable fruit of righteousness" on a consistent basis. In the meantime, I'm practicing fixing my eyes on Christ.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

dear Alice: I think the waiting on man is what makes life difficult. Waiting on God gives us an assurance we do not have in the systems of this world. I dare say you are more at peace knowing God is in control, even though you aren't aware of it. It's in Him we are able to give thanks and not be anxious. It's the world and its ways we allow to pull us off our hammocks of meditation, I think. I am praying for you as you wait. selahV

chandra said...

Hey Alice!
Sorry I haven't called. I have been meaning to forever but the days just get away from me and before I know it, it is too late at night!! Hope ya'll are doing okay. We need to get together soon! Love ya!

Shannon said...

i've been missing your blogging.... we are thinking of you all a lot - specifically today.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely posting. It is such an encouragement to get together with fellow believers at times. Truly we are "seated together with Christ in heavenly places." Too often, we Christian women think that "humility" is defined by how much we run ourselves down to build our men up. This is especially true of "complementarian" women. That is not humility! Biblical humility comes from knowing who you are in Christ Jesus. It means embracing what God says about you as His Child, and rejecting the aformentioned lies of Satan. When we love one another, when we submit ourselves to one another (Ephesians 5), when we care for one another, when we humble ourselves under the hand of God (I Peter 5), we have no need of "gender roles" in the church, the family, or society. As a Christian woman, I pay no attention to those who say "Women should stay in their place". That is the height of arrogance. My place is at the right hand of God!Patriarchy breeds pride in men and inferiority in women; as such, it is contrary to the Word of God, which condemns pride and commends humility. That is why I reject patriarchy. Our hearts should indeed be united in love, as you said. I will pray for a complete recovery for Bobby. "By His stripes we were healed". As you continue to dwell on the promises of God, you will continue to be strenghtened.