Sunday, July 27, 2008

Vacation recovery, VBS, and Vertigo

We came home and spent a week recovering from our trip. Doing laundry, cleaning the house, finally doing my home school curriculum order, and spending some much-needed time with my husband filled the first week back. Then last week we had VBS at our new church. It kicked off on Sunday night and lasted through Thursday night, averaging 200 people each night. I helped in the Craft Shack, and had a blast. It was fun, if exhausting, to work with the children. I also had a great time getting to know the people I was working with. We are blessed to be at a church with a lot of people who have a great sense of humor and who enjoy laughing together.

The one blot on my week was on Tuesday morning when I woke up and the room was spinning. This condition, which is called vertigo, has plagued me a time or two before, and it comes from my having too much fluid in my inner ear canal. I usually take Zyrtec every day, and had forgotten to do so. Twice before vertigo has hit me in the evenings, which is not really a problem since I can just go to bed. This time it hit as soon as I got up. I couldn't keep my eyes open, or walk around without becoming nauseated. I spent the entire morning lying on the couch as perfectly still as I could. I took decongestant as well as Zyrtec, and by about 2 p.m. I could at least get up and walk around slowly, holding my head as steady as possible. I didn't go to VBS that night. On Wednesday I still felt a little dizzy, but by Thursday I was up'n'at'em.

On a very sad note, I read an e-mail today from my friend Denise, to find out that a little boy I've been praying for, Jair, has gone home to be with the Lord. He was fighting cancer and seemed to be doing great when, after the doctors tried an autologous bone marrow transplant, he reacted badly and became very ill. His parents, Teo and Lety, are now grieving the loss of their little boy. This hits me pretty hard. I can imagine their pain.

Also, this last week I tried to e-mail my friend Hilda in Puerto Rico, whose husband passed away in May due to cancer, and have not heard back. Nildi, I tried to write to you--did you get it? I love you!


chandra said...

Hi Alice!
I hope you have recovered now. It sounds like you have been as busy as we have. We are starting school tomorrow and everyone is excited about the new year. Momo actually asked if she could do some schoolwork tonight because she just couldn't wait till morning. Let me know when you want to try to get together. Talk to you soon. Love ya.

Shannon said...

Sorry you were down for a day because of the vertigo. It's never fun to be down. Glad you're feeling better :)

One of my friend's father's passed away from cancer this week. He had been suffering from Hep C for years and was diagnosed with cancer two weeks ago. So thankful he knew the Lord.

Pintu and I chatted on Skype last night. She asked if she could come over this week. We haven't spent any time together in over a year! I really miss her...and I hope she asks lots of questions when she comes over on Thursday. Pray.

Alice C. said...

Chandra: We just got all our new stuff, so we're excited, too, but not starting for a couple of weeks. I have math teacher's editions for you!

Shannon: I'll be praying. Also--I love your blog post on McDonalds... I love you and miss you very much.