Thursday, April 29, 2010

But How Do I Do It?

Philippians 4:6 tells us to "not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests by made known to God."  (ESV)


Okay.  I understand that.


But how do I DO that?  Practically speaking, how do I just NOT be anxious?  It's not possible for me to spend my entire day on my knees in prayer and supplication every time I feel a twinge of worry.  I have three kids to home school, laundry to do, house to clean, food to cook, and so on....So what do I do?  Do I just try to be in an attitude of prayer and supplication all day during all these activities?  How do I let go of worry and anxiety?  What if I've told God my worries and requests over and over, and still see nothing happening to lessen them?  HOW do we have faith when we've asked for it time and again, and yet feel like our faith is weak?  I know that God is Sovereign.  I know that He is good.  I know that He is loving.  I DO trust Him.  I have to just cling to those facets of God and trust that things will work out for His good and loving plan.  Just writing this post has helped me somewhat as I've been thinking about God's Word and what it has to say about these things:


"Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you."  1 Thess. 5:18
“Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." Matt. 6:34
"And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his life?" Luke 12:25
"And he said to his disciples, “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat, nor about your body, what you will put on."Luke 12:22
"Lord, I believe.  Help my unbelief."  Mark 9:24


So....being in an attitude of prayer, and meditating on Scripture both help.  Any other ideas?

5 comments:

Alan Knox said...

Be honest with other brothers and sisters about your anxieties and let them help you.

-Alan

Alice C. said...

Alan: True, we need to do that, too, and be transparent with our brothers and sisters.

KeeperatHome said...

I could have written your post as I've asked those very questions. During frustrating or dark times, I have cried out to the Lord to help me in this area. The scriptures tell us what to do... as you said, it's in actually clinging to Who He is and to His Word, meditating on it.

Mark 9:24 really sums up a critical issue for me... help my unbelief... I KNOW He will do what He says, but do I truly BELIEVE it?

Thanks for this post...
In Christ, Talya

Ciao Babe said...

what's up?

I need to call you again. I can't get an eloquent response right now. We have a LOT to catch up with, but I have definitely asked these questions many times especially over the last 2 years.
God bless you :-)

Alice C. said...

Talya: It's funny that just writing the post and reminding myself of the truth of God's Word helped immensely. We are just such frail creatures! I know you cling to Him as I do.

Renata: Ciao, babe! We do need to talk. Nothing major is up here, just several minor things piled on each other.....Which is sometimes harder to deal with. One major problem is often easier to solve than several minor issues.....It's just life, you know! I'm trying to "enjoy the journey."